Friday, April 22, 2011

Space Wolves 2011

After the Colonial GT and after speaking with Chris "Jawaballs" and seeing his new Blood Angels, and some of his WIP for his new army, I got myself motivated to attempt to step up my game a bit.

What does this mean for me? a brand spanking new Space Wolves army of course!

Now, to do a new Space Wolf army, I need to set myself some ground rules.
1. It needs to have a new theme (I've already done Rhino rush, Drop Pods, and Biker heavy lists)
2. All new models, I have a sizable collection, but all of the models I currently have, I've already used in a tournament of one type or another. I need something new.
3. Conversions all around. This part is a bit tricky as the new Space Wolf models are great and not in need of much converting.

My current thought, is to do a Logan Grimnar army. Not an all Wolf Guard force, but one that does take advantage of his ability to use Wolf Guard as a troops selection. I want variety in the force while trying to have as many boots as I can on the ground. I also want to use lots of Wargear, and kit-out some squads. This is the Great Wolf's Great Company after all, and they should be equipped as such.

Normally I write a list, and then work on building the army. I have tried this approach several times already, but just can't seem to stick with one list that I want to build.

Here is what I consider "must haves" in the list so far:
  • Logan Grimnar (Of course) I am going to convert my own model. The current one is great, but I am going to build my own, kit-bashing some plastics. His axe is going to be a double bladed Khorne Chain-axe
  • A Long Fangs pack, max-size this group is old friends of the "Old Wolf" maybe even members of his original pack. They are going to all tote Heavy Bolters. This is a Space Wolf standard option with a twist (No missile launcher spam here). My hope is to use The Old Wolf's special abilities of giving Relentless or Tank-hunters to the pack to make the Heavy Bolters not just a good option, but a great one.
  • A ten strong Wolf Guard pack all in TDA. This is the "Core" of the army. I normally go with Assault Cannons, so for a twist, I am going to go with 2 Cyclone Missile Launchers.
  • A Grey Hunters Pack with all the goodies I can squeeze in
  • A Blood Claws Pack
  • A Wolf Priest
This should leave me with a couple of hundred points to play with. I have one pack of each of the Troops choices allowed in the Codex. I may try and do a Scout pack as well, I'll have to play with some more detailed lists to see what I can squeeze into this army.

Here are a couple of teaser pics,


Above you can see the start of my first pack, some Grey Hunters. This will be a pack of 9 led by a Wolf guard. Lots of kit-bashing and green stuff, I'm really trying to push my converting skills on this project.


Above we have the Wolf Guard he is armed with a Thunder Hammer and a Combi-plasma. I know, I know not the wisest of choices, but he just looks so damn bad-ass!
I used one of the Scibor models that I purchased at the Colonial, I purchased 4 different ones, so I have one for each of the packs that I have planned for this army to represent all of my Wolf Guard.

I will have more close up pictures of the other models soon, and I will put up some notes on how I made the models.

No comments:

Post a Comment