Monday, January 17, 2011

Why only 500 Points?

I've had some conversations with some folk in regards to this upcoming campaign. One of the biggest questions I get is "Why only 500 points?"

Well, my thought was that in many Warhammer 40k campaigns, people tend to lose interest after a few weeks. You play about once a week as your schedule allows, making a move on the map, and so on. Progress is slow, movement on the map is slow, and any real changes to the campaign can take many weeks.

My thought was to do a fast and furious campaign in which the borders on the map can change drastically from night to night, playing as many as 3 turns in an evening.

I have also noticed that some of the players at the store have started some new armies, Josh with his Dark Eldar and Nagle (not me, notice his name is misspelled) with his Ork horde. This will hopefully help them with the motivation to get some paint on some of those models and test them on the battle field.

I have also attempted to design this campaign so that the army grows as the campaign progresses, this is deliberately a slow army growth, but I am guessing that by the end of the 4th week some of the more powerful empires will be at about 1000 points.

While I am adding this second post I may as well list some of the things that the players will need for this campaign.

1. 500 point army preferably fully painted. Unpainted models (less than 3 colors) will be allowed to be used, but will have a -1 penalty to all stats, this can be reduced to 0 (They are pressed into service before being ready for battle)

2. Campaign tokens for taken territory, these will be the players responsibility. These can be as simple or elaborate as you like as long as they are small enough to fit on the map, and they are individual enough to distinguish them from another player.

If you are having trouble with motivation getting your army done a few of us are meeting at Jester's Playhouse next Sunday, I am hoping to get in a game, but I am bringing some stuff to paint as well, and would be happy to help anyone out trying to get ready for the campaign.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're starting it at 500pts. I was excited when I first saw the event because this type of campaign is exactly what I need to help me get painting; Especially with the -1 modifier to unpainted models. I may even have a little flavor background to the army written up in time.

    ReplyDelete